Sunday, January 18, 2009

Broken Momentum...


I was doing so good. Posting everyday. Then my internet connection and my phone went down. Turns out there was a short in the wire. Just because I couldn't post doesn't mean I stopped working. I was out in my studio having fun. I am not really impressed with what I came up with. I am happy though because I see some elements that keep coming up in my work. Maybe I am finding what art by "me" looks like. 

I used to make my art from a really dark place. It was all very dark and usually sad. Throw some really angry in the mix and that was what I could come up with. I am not feeling that way anymore. At least not nearly as intensly as it was before. I felt lucky that I could pass some of that feeling into my art and let it go a bit. Now things are a bit different. I have other things going on in my life and most of them are really positive. I learned how to let go of some of the really bad stuff and not let it be the prominent guide in my life. So, this is I believe what is causing my art to change and adjust a bit.

I think I have a very long ways to go before I ever feel comfortable calling myself an "artist" but I can say I make art. I have to admit I don't think I will ever be able to call something that I have made "good". I will always see something that can be improved and I think that is OK. It keeps me wanting to try to do better.

I have a ton of ideas in my head right now and they are waiting to be let out. They are not pictures, but colors. I never see anything I make in my head before it is done. My brain doesn't work that way. I like to think of colors and then work from there. The images that I use and the actual color combinations I use come as I am working. I was talking to my friend Alea (who has a new blog http://bonewerx.blogspot.com/ 

) and we were talking about how she likes to have a theme to work with and I freeze up if there is some kind of theme. I am not sure why, but trying to keep something within well defined borders makes it almost impossible to work. If I have a size limitation I can do that, but an actual theme will pretty much cause my brain to stop working. 

Above is another piece that I did. I have more too. Sorry for the randomness of this post!

1 comment:

Alea said...

I love how different we are! I can tell that I am going to learn a lot from you. Reading about your process gives me new perspective on my own. Keep it comin'.