Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Permission to make bad art.



Today I finally made it out to my studio. The sun was out and it wasn't too cold. I had a heater just in case but never needed to use it. At first things were pretty easy. I cleaned everything up and had a completely clear space to work. That was my first problem. When things are neat and tidy I feel like I have to make something really "good". That is not the only reason I feel that way. Having a "studio" makes you think you always have to make very serious art. At least for myself. There is that pressure, that feeling like "well, you have a studio so get to work and make some money. " That is the hardest for me. I don't do well trying to make things to sell. I don't know any artist that feels good when they are trying to make things to sell. The whole point is to be creative and that may mean making "bad" art. So, today I gave myself permission to just do that. I turned off my critic and went to work. I wish I could say that I was really happy with my work and it miraculously turned out fantastic. It didn't. It was bad. Amazingly, it was also fun once I got into it. I did whatever I wanted, however I felt like it. I broke the rules. I dirtied a million paintbrushes. It was fantastic. So, here's to making bad art. I had so much fun I plan on doing it again tomorrow. 

P. S. Just so it's known that I am serious above are some of the pieces of "bad" art I made. No they are not very good, but they are mine.

No comments: