Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Work!


I have been given some very good advice today. I have heard it before but think it is worth repeating. Treat my time in the studio as my "work". If I left my house to go to a job I would go every day and I would get there on time (I hate being late). So, I should treat my studio time as a job and not be late. Go everyday etc... If I was going to "work" I would not worry that the laundry wasn't done, the dishes were not done or any other random thing that I can distract myself with. At least not as I was supposed to be going to my "Job". I would probably get up earlier and do some house work or be just do a better job of managing my time. I know I would do this. The big trick is to allow myself to treat what I do as a "job". Of course, it is my best, most amazing job ever. I guess that's why it makes it so hard for me to think of it as work. Which brings me to my next adventure....

Etsy! I have an account which I had put two paintings on a very long time ago. I never did anything to actively pursue selling. I am not actually sure how you can go about selling on Etsy. I mean, I know the basic set it up etc.. but I don't have any idea how you get people to pay attention to what your selling. Also, I don't know the first thing about making prints or if I should just sell originals (which is my preference). I have a big learning curve, but I am really excited about it. And now that I wrote it here on my blog, it is out there in the Universe. Which means I better follow thru!

3 comments:

Tara.Fields said...

Hey there! Etsy has tons of articles and advice about how to be utilize it, so check them out. A few tips that that stuck with me were these:
1) post something new (or repost) everyday. Now, that's a bit more than I can manage, but the more recently your item has been posted the closer to the top of search lists it goes.
2) Use as many of the tags as you can, all of them if at all possible (that's 14 ways people will find you) and don't forget to include the colors of the piece, there's a special search engine just for that) and
3) Use as many of the photos spots as you can w/o being repetitive. Shoot the back, show the side(s), put the work in context, whatever.
GO KELLY!

keely said...

Yay! You go chica! You totally need to start selling actively on Etsy! You are very talented. :-)

Magic Brush said...

Sometimes I want to avoid my studio... like today. Have much to do. Stuff 1/2 done...samples needed and I am avoiding the room....