Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Magical Mushrooms... (not that kind)


Kansas City, Missiouri

My Magic Mushrooms
I made a new piece this weekend. In fact I made four! The second piece which I am not posting, turned green. It's because of the gel medium and the print. Not good. I have to use strictly wax on the picture. It will be redone and put in the shop. The mushroom one above is made from with a page out of an old gardening book. I love old gardening books and medical books for cool backgrounds. I also collect old Atlas's and use the maps too. The painting called "Kansas City, Missouri" was made from a map of... Kansas City, Missouri. I put this one in my shop on Saturday.

I think the toughest part of being an artist is setting your art out there and hoping someone likes it. Even if they don't buy it just knowing that someone likes it feels pretty good. When I am in the process of making something I don't think about who will like it. I just need to make it. It's after the piece is done and I want to put it in my Etsy shop that it kind of makes me nervous. I have to get over that and let it go. I don't like to sound negative, but I think that will take a lot of work on my part.

Anyway, on a happier note, the weather here has been beautiful and because of the long weekend I was able to spend lots of time in the studio. I love that.

P.S. No fishing for compliments here!

No comments: