Monday, June 1, 2009

The Business Plan



Or I should say, the lack of a business plan. I am working on a business plan and am stumped. It is not easy for me to put my ideas in writing. I know what I want to achieve, I just don't know how to say it so it makes sense. The books that I have checked out are great if you are not an artist and are starting your own company. I haven't found anything that is specific to visual artist. There are sample plans for graphic designers and even one for a band (which I thought was pretty cool.) Lucky for me I know someone who is an artist and has come up with a plan. Alea is going to tell me all she knows (right Alea? :) I have one page done and that is the cover page. That's not much of a start.

I think it's really important to put your goals in writing. I had a friend do this recently and she did all that she set out to do. Now she is making new goals. I would love to do that. I guess I don't really know what my concrete goals are. Do I want to make it to galleries, be a big seller on Etsy, do craft fairs... I don't really know. These are things I need to think about. I have to say that if I have to think about my art or make it, I will take making it anyday. That's what I have been doing today and it feels good. The above piece was made today. It's a message to myself. To stop and listen. I sometimes forget to do that. Of course it is going in the shop today. Someone else probably needs this message too.

I hope you are having a lovely day. It's another gorgeous one here. We are lucky.

2 comments:

Alea Bone said...

I am looking forward to brainstorming with you tomorrow. I'll send you some helpful links tonight to get you started. I think it's great that you are thinking about this stuff.

Amy Stoner said...

Thanks for your kind words on my blog Kelly- and for letting my find you, another cool crafty gal in portland.

I can SO understand what you wrote about in this post. I have been a "professional" artist (whatever that means) for about 5 years now and I still have never really written a business plan. My goals are pretty changeable and I'm always telling myself to formalize it some more and get better organized.