Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Prices...


I have such a hard time determining how to price my artwork. I think this is a really common problem for a lot of artists. I have been told by good friends that my artwork is under priced. I agree with them, but feel funny about raising my prices. I know I should do it, but by how much? I think part of the reason people don't always buy from me is because my prices are low so they think they are getting something that is not worth much. I would like to believe that is not the case. I use quality wood and I spend a lot of time on my work. I just don't know how much it's really worth. I know there are equations you can use etc... I have never really used them because they usually require you to figure out the time spent on the piece etc... Well, each one is completely different. Sometimes the pieces just click together and I am done within an hour. Other times it can take me days to work on a piece. So, if I just based it on my time, I would be all over the place. I do like to make sure I have my materials covered, but again that varies piece by piece. So, I am at a loss. I know I need to raise my prices, I just don't know to what....

In other news I created a new Valentines piece. I was thinking of Valentines day coming up and what I would like to do to celebrate. Having kids usually means we celebrate as a family. No high romance here. I think I will make my family a dessert for valentines day. A couple years ago I made a lemon pound cake. That went over very well. I did forget however that "pound" meant a whole pound of butter. Hmmm, not so great for a diet.... This year maybe I will go with something a little lighter..

No comments: