Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I've Moved

Check out my new blog at KellyAkinArt.tumblr.com, soon to be just KellyAkinArt.com

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Keeper of Dreams

This piece I made is called The Keeper of Dreams. I used acrylics for this one. Once I put a coat of blue acrylic down I added a layer of crackle medium. I added the first layer, and let it dry overnight. I then added a second layer of crackle medium and let it dry until it was tacky. I used a Golden orange color over that. The crackle worked really well I thought. This was the first time for me to use it. I have to say that the picture is not so great. My camera is acting really weird so I am getting a lot of odd shades. Also, I had another picture to show you of another encaustic piece I made using the Cherry Red Hot wax that I talked about yesterday. You will have to take my word for it that this red is seriously bright cherry. Love it! I am hoping to have this piece up next week. 

 Anyway, The Keeper of Dreams was inspired by a piece that my friend Maria showed me that she has at her house. I can't remember the artist, but it was fantastic. She uses real butterfly feathers. My piece has bird feathers and it totally different. I used flashing for the bottom to write "the keeper of dreams" which I inscribed with an awl. I tried really hard to use my metal alphabet stamps, but they wouldn't push through the flashing. I must have been doing something wrong. It was kind of fun to inscribe with the awl. Not sure if it looks great, but I personally like the look of it. I highlighted that with some pure pigment and then covered it in gel medium. The hardest part was screwing that piece down to the canvas. I screwed it into the wood frame and those are hard. Almost broke my drill bit! It was fun to have something to use tools on. I love tools. If I was handier I might come up with some more interesting work. 

Anyway, hope you like the piece. It was fun to make.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

New pics and a product I LOVE

First off there are some new paintings I have been working on. My camera is acting funny so on "Key" I didn't get the full painting. I did get the detail. As you can see I am loving these burlap butterflies I bought at Collage. More about Collage later. Anyway, I did one painting when I was full on encaustic mode. I think I did 8 layers of wax and scraped it away so you can see all the different colors. Not sure that it is one of my better ones, but it was fun to make. The last one is called "Blue" and I am stuck. The reason why is because I love the color so much. Here comes the product endorsement. I bought some encaustic wax at Collage called Kandi's Hot Wax Art Encaustic Wax.  I LOVE this stuff. I bought a denim blue one first just to try it out. It comes in a little tab. I put it in a muffin container on my griddle and added some beeswax to it. It melted perfectly and the color is AMAZING. This is why I am stuck on "Blue" I know it's off balance and the composition is off etc.. but it is hard for me to cover up that blue color. It is so gorgeous. I just used my hot iron to push the color around and fuse it to the medium. I really don't know what to do with it now. I might just keep it for myself the way it is, but I want to share it. So, I better think of a way to finish it off. Some more Kandi's Hot Wax will probably work. Now I just have to decide what color I want to use! O' and the other awesome thing about it is that each tab is only $4.00 anyone who does encaustic knows that is a brilliant deal. Fits my budget perfectly.

Monday, March 7, 2011


I made this today in anticipation of an art fair coming up at the end of next month. It's "garden" themed so I wanted to put something nature inspired in there. I LOVE these Burlap butterflies which I have picked up at Collage here in PDX. They go so well with encaustic. The background is two original pages from a ledger dating back from 1902 - 1906. I love the writing. It's very cool. 

I finally cleaned up my studio on Saturday. It had been a huge mess after all the paintings I had done. I bought a bigger griddle that I added to my smaller one. Plus I have the big roaster that I use to melt just the medium. All in all it takes up a lot of electricity. Well, I hooked them all up and then yesterday I turned them all on. Yes, I blew the fuse. I had to do a lot of crawling around and thanks to the direction of my husband was able to fix it. So, today I forgot. This morning I went out to turn the wax on and did it again. It's not ideally set up yet, but I am working on it. 
                                                                          Flutter Detail
I am hoping to be posting at least one painting a day. I thought I might have something coming through the pipeline that would interrupt my art a little, but that didn't work out. Now it's back to concentrating on Etsy and getting out to all the art shows. I am so happy to say that my Love Show piece sold. That was definitely a boost. I really needed that.